Sunday, July 19, 2009

Summer Time = Fun at Mt. Hood National Forest

Is the "summer time" theme getting boring? Oh, well there will still be a couple more ;) Mt. Hood National Forest really is fun any time of year. Sking, snow shoeing, cross country skying in the winter, and wonderful hiking in the summer. You just have to love the area we live in, that is if you love nature ;)

I pretty much spent the entire weekend in the National Forest. On Saturday a group of German women took the Ramon Falls hike. Somewhat like in Germany but yet very different. It is one of the most popular hikes because it is so close to Portland, and also very moderate. It is a 7.1 mile loop. The south side is along a picturesque creek where you would expect fairies, and the north side is somewhat barren. There is an elevation gain of about 1,000 ft., so I really would not recommend this hike for little children. I said a couple of sentences ago, that it is very similar to Germany and you know what? We saw another large group of German's en route, and I read that the Austrians of Portland went hiking "Wandertag" today, Sunday. Do you know where they went? Yup, also to Ramona Falls. It must be the all German hiking spot ;) If you would like to check it out here is the link http://www.oregon.com/hiking/ramona_falls.cfm. There is a picture of Ramona Falls on the site, and you know what? The falls really do look like that. Just amazing...

So I went hiking with girlfriends yesterday, and today we took a family trip out to the Wildwood Recreation area in the Mt. Hood National Forest. Again, just wonderful and I like to take nice walks on Sunday's. Nothing "German" happened...we did not meet any other Germans, but at the fish viewing area a boy asked me whether I spoke a different language to my kids. I said "yes" he then asked whether it was "Japanese", and I then told him that it was "German". It was quite cute. Here is the link for the Wildwood Recreation Area. That is just a fun all around family place http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/Wildwood_brochure07.pdf.

No comments: