Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Farmers Market in Portland

It is the time of year again for farmers markets all around the metro Portland area. I love them. They just such a reminder of home. The downtown market on Wednesday morning/early afternoon is just wonderful. Seasonal fruits and veggies; there are vendors selling sausages, tamales, pita, etc. My youngest daughter and I went this morning. The problem however is that I always buy too much...I better start canning.

The market does remind me of home, but it is very different. In my home town there are two markets, Monday and Friday, the entire year. The other difference include:- the produce, its not just local; sausage, it being Germany the major focus is to sell the Wurst and meat on the market. The butcher also has a grill for the Bratwurst; Eggs and poultry is sold on the market; Fish; Cheese selling cheese from Germany and Switzerland; oh yes and the booth selling Curry Wurst my personal favorite (and yes, my husband does not like it). - So yes, the farmers market in PDX is just like home but different. It does make me a little homesick and then again when I am on the market in Tuttlingen (www.tuttlingen.de) I get a little homesick for Portland....

Have a great day all...we will enjoy our Cherries & Strawberries now :)

No comments: