Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wurstsalat...do you really mean sausage salad?

Every now and then I really have the urge for comfort food. Comfort food for me is Linsen und Spaetzle (lentils & spaetzle) in the winter, Kassler und Kraut (smoked pork chop & sauerkraut), and my absolute all time favorite Wurstsalat. I LOVE Wurstsalat and yes, it is true it translates to sausage salad in English. Does not sound right in English! So what is it...as far as I know it is a Southern German thing. The Wurstsalat I make contains Fleischwurst, onions, chopped pickles, a little oil, vinegar, and some pickle juice. Mmmmhhhh! I love it and I actually made it yesterday. Sadly so my husband does not like Wurstsalat at all, but both of our girls also like it a lot. It is probably one of those things that you need to grow up with in order to like it. Just like Root beer. I just started to like Root beer a year ago...that is after having tried it time and time again for almost 13 years :)

But going back to the topic Wurstsalat, I used Gelbwurst yesterday and it also turned out great :). In the region I am from you can generally order three different types of Wurstsalat...Wurstsalat - the "plain" version, Schweizer Wurstsalat (Swiss) - includes Swiss cheese, or Schwaebischer Wurstsalat (Swabian) - this one is made out of blood sausage and I have to admit not one of my faves...my personal absolute favorite is the Schweizer Wurstsalat.

I do not really have a recipe for the type I make, but if you are interested drop me a line :)

No comments: