Saturday, November 29, 2008

Adventszeit - time before Christmas...



I really like fall, and ever since we have kids I love the Adventszeit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent This is the time when we prepare for Christmas. I make an advents wreath (see picture) and light the candles accordingly. Today we lighted the first candle.


This year we started the season the day after Thanksgiving . Alena and I made stars out of craft foil. Gold, purple, pink (of course :) ) green, sliver...just wonderful. Yesterday I made the first batch of cookies so at least we have some for our afternoon tea. OK - afternoon tea we only have during the Adventszeit. On weekdays I take some time, make tea, eat cookies and sing Christmas songs with the girls. Oh, and yes I have also taken out all of our Christmas books and stories. Tomorrow (on December 1st) I will hang up the Adventskalender (advents calendar for the girls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_calendar They also sell them in stores here in the States but they all seem to be filled with milk chocolate. Our girls cannot have milk I therefore make my own and they will get a little present every day until Christmas.


Oh, there is one thing that is very different to me living here in the States and that is the Christmas tree. When I grew up the Christmas tree went up on Christmas Eve. My parents decorated it and it was this huge secret what it would look like :) I now compromise. We get our tree in mid December and all of us decorate. More about Christmas later...

No comments: