Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fall - my favorite season

Fall is my favorite season. Here in the United States it starts with decorating for Halloween, carving pumpkins, getting costumes for the kids etc. I just LOVE it. Have I mentioned that I love orange :) - I have heard that kids now also go "Trick or Treating" in Germany but are asking for money. This is a little different to me. I would love to hear how Halloween is celebrated in Germany. Let me know. Write a comment, or drop me a line.

After Halloween it is time for all of our GREAT German customs, and festivities. We start out with the Laternenlauf for St. Martin's Day. To learn more about St. Martin's Day check out Wikipidea at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin's_Day. We already made our Laternen at Spielgruppe for the big day. If you would like to know how to make your own Laternen check out the following web-site. There are fantastic links. One caveat so, I am not a very crafty person, and I was able to make great Laternen - http://www.martin-von-tours.de/laternen/laternenbasteln/index.html (the links for the different types are to the left hand side)

So what do we do with our Laternen? We learn songs, and then we walk as close to November 11th as possible with our lit Laternen through the neighborhood. We (Spielgruppe) have gathered for the last three years at hour house. Walk through the neighborhood with our Laternen, sing songs, and afterwards hang out at my house for a pot-luck. The neighbors were all very surprised...but it is SO much FUN for the kids. Oh, yes I do admit this, for myself as well :)

Have fun...Let me know what you are doing for St. Martin's Tag. Are you familiar with this custom? What songs do you sing?

No comments: