Sunday, July 13, 2008

Camping in Oregon...

In almost 15 years my very first camping trip in the U.S....Growing up in Germany we went camping all the time. Whenever there we had vacation we packed the trailer and headed south. Later on (in my European life :) ) I went camping quite frequently and really generally enjoyed it. So what happened I ask myself, why have we not been camping in the US?

To me European Campgrounds are never out in the wilderness. There is always a coffee shop, little restaurant, store where you can buy stuff. The bathrooms are generally clean, spacious and heated...so when I heard people going to camp in the NW I only heard "wilderness", and imagined a totally, totally rustic experience. And not to forget the wild life we have in Oregon as in bears, mountain lion, etc....

OK so finally we went on a one night camping trip (Thanks to the Oregonian travel section a couple of weeks ago :)) The park was Silverton Falls State Park (FYI - http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php) and it was GREAT! - The girls loved it, playground was in sight from our campsite, the bathroom/shower facilities well they do not compare to what I have used in Europe but they were fine, but here is the really, really great part. Each campsite has a fire pit and pick nick bench. If that is not fantastic then I don't know what is. Of course we had a fire, grilled "Wuerstle" over the fire which both girls loved, and then (my first) all American the toasted Marshmallow...quite interesting. So I take back everything negative I have said about camping in Oregon. It really was great, and we certainly will camp again soon. Truth be said so, a few days only a whole week would be a little too much for me still...

No comments: