Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summertime = Berrytime

Finally summer in Oregon. The girls and I went berry picking on Sauvie Island yesterday. We have lived in Oregon now for over six years and I admit that I was never that fond of blueberries...I come from Southern Germany were there also lots of fruits are grown. I grew up with berries, but not with blueberries. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that they may just not grow there. But Oregon Blueberries...there is nothing like it. So the girls and I went to the first U-Pick Farm yesterday and were so disappointed that over the weekend people picked most of the ripest berries. Thankfully there is more than one U-Pick Farm. We went to the next and WOW!!! Our buckets of berries filled up in now time. Alena and I were picking them, while Mia Rose (2) just stood in the bushes and ate the berries by the hand full right of the bush. Amazing. - Then we went to the Raspberries and were just as successful...But what does all of this have to do with Germany and Portland. Let me tell you...when we were done I drove around the island (both girls were napping) and it reminds me so much of Germany. On the Bodensee there is the Reichenau were also produce is grown. It is quite similar to Sauvie Island, but of course, everything is so much more spread out over here. But it is amazing to me that within less than 1/2 hour you are outside of a about 2 Million metro area and right in the farmland. So yes, it is just like home (Germany) but different....

More information under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauvie_Island

No comments: