Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Camping Part II with a German twist

We went camping again last weekend for one night. Our campground of choice this time was the Milo McIvor State Park by Estacada. http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_142.php
The park is less than an hour away from our house. It amazes me how in less than an hour you can go from urban to totally rural. The campsite was very private and we were surrounded by great, big trees. Birds sung and we actually saw hawks close up. We took a little tiny hike to the hatchery and a deer crossed our path. Again, how amazing is that less than an hour outside a large city?! This time I did miss the convenience of a European campground just a little bit. Why? Let me tell you...I forgot the propane cartridge and since there is no store on the campground I had to drive to Estacada to get one. At least we were able to get the propane. The upside was that I got to see a little of Estacada. To me it looks almost exactly like one imagines a town from the wild west :)
So where is the German twist...OK - Ron cooked dinner again (see picture), we toasted marshmallows, made Guacamole, and then we also made Stockbrot. My sister told me about Stockbrot. It is really fun. Basically its bread you cook on your stick over the campfire. The recipe is also easy. It works best if you put the bread dough on bamboo sticks, just make sure that you do not use more water, or make sure that you bring along extra flour. Here is the recipe for 4 people, easy to increase, decrease etc.
400 gr flour
1 Pack yeast
400 ml water
1 pinch of salt
- mix it all together and let rise for a little while
Have a great day everyone...

No comments: