Friday, July 25, 2008

Kaffeklatsch the Portland way :)

So what on earth is a Kaffeklatsch?! - Here is my definition on the topic, keep in mind I have been in ex-pat for almost 15 years and please correct me if I am not quite accurate...

Where I come from women invite each other over in the afternoon for coffee & cake. Usually a few girlfriends get together, drink coffee, have cake, and may later on have a glass of bubbly :) The setting I know for this is ALWAYS at a table, the table is ALWAYS set with silverware, china, etc. It's by no means formal by German standards. In any case, so today I invited a bunch of my friends from the Spielgruppe (playgroup), as well as other German speaking friends over to our house for a Kaffeklatsch. Of course there was coffee, I also baked a couple of cakes AND chocolate chip cookies (very American :) ), but here is were I changed the rule. All in all we were 11 women, and about 17 kids. So I did not set a table, I did not put out the china, did not set the table (too many people :) )...no, totally un "PC", we had paper cups (hot/cold of course), paper plates, the cakes were set buffet style and we a hung out in the yard as the kids played.
And I think all of us had a great time :)

It is really funny so how traditions I grew up with become again relevant and important as I live so far away from the place were I was raised.

No comments: